Is it Better to Choose Natural or Organic Products?

These days it seems like organic is all the rage and it is impossible to step foot inside a supermarket, grocery shop, beauty salon or even many restaurants without being bombarded with signs claiming that various products are organic or made with organic ingredients. The terms natural or organic can also be found proudly displayed on a whole host of different types of cosmetics and skin care products, ranging from mascaras to moisturisers.

While many people may be tempting to go organic, when it comes to body and hair care there is also a wide range of natural products to choose from. Not only are these products high in quality, they can also help to nourish the skin and hair in a wide range of different ways. Let’s take a look at the differences between natural and organic products so we can decide once and for all which type of products truly deserves to wear the crown and rule when it comes to healthy skin and body care.

The Definition of Organic

One of the first things to bear in mind about the term organic is that there are no industry standards or regulations related to this term. When it comes to food, organic basically means that no harmful chemicals have been used in the production of the food. However, while organic beauty products often contain natural ingredients, there are no rules or restrictions preventing various chemicals or other synthetic substances from being added to the mix. Therefore, it is important to read the ingredients list carefully. Even the way that the product is labelled can be very telling and products that are labelled 100% organic must contain only organically produced ingredients and come with the USDA Organic Seal. If a label simply says organic it must contain at least 95% organically produced ingredients, while a label that states that the product is made with organic ingredients must contain at least 70% organic ingredients, while the remaining 30% of the ingredients could easily be chemicals that should best be avoided. The bottom line is that although a lot of cosmetic products contain organic ingredients, they may also contain a range of synthetic ingredients.

Straight from Nature

The term natural ingredients means that the ingredients come directly from natural sources and contain no synthetic components. The term natural is actually a step further than organic, as it means that products that bear this label contain only plant sourced ingredients that are created without the use of synthetic chemicals, irradiation, or pesticides. In addition, natural products generally do not include ingredients such as petrochemicals, parabens, sodium lauryl and laureth sulphates, phthalates, synthetic dyes and synthetic colours. When a beauty or body care product claims to be 100% natural, it is generally safe to assume that it is free from synthetic substances, which can be confirmed by reading the product label.

Some Natural Products are Better than Others

It is important to remember that just because something is natural, it does not necessarily mean that it is good for the skin or body and in some cases natural ingredients can actually have harmful effects such as causing rashes or allergic reactions. Therefore, it is important to make sure that you purchase natural skin and hair care products that are of top quality and come from a trusted source and understand the effects that different natural ingredients can have on the body.

As a general rule of thumb when it comes to skin and hair care products, you should not put anything on your skin that you would not feel confident consuming. This is because these products are absorbed by the body and quickly become part of your body’s complex and finely tuned metabolic system. We take great care to carefully source our ingredients so that you can be sure that you are receiving nothing but the best. Not only are all of our products clearly labelled with their natural and organic ingredients, you can also find full details of the beneficial effects of these ingredients so that you can purchase them with confidence.